Anyone using a clutch kit on their CVT?

Go ahead...Let it out.

Moderator: hemingray

Rider11x
Is tracking a shipment right now

Anyone using a clutch kit on their CVT?

Postby Rider11x » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:12 am

I'm considering one for my Grizzly, but wanted to hear from other trail riders and rock crawlers.....Do they help on rocks or hinder? I wanted one to allow me to use low range less by gearing it down a bit, but want to avoid any lurching when starting from a dead stop. Maybe someone can shed some light on this, regardless of brand. 8)
2006 Grizzly 660 Realtree Hardwoods Camo

www.grizzlyinfo.com

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:47 pm

So all of you rock crawler guys are running stock CVT systems I take it? No mods for stonger clutch engagement? :?

www.grizzlyinfo.com

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:41 am

On my first clutch set up on my 500HO I was using the heel clicker set-up.
It works great but, now I'm running the 2006 Polaris primary clutch and I don't need to run a heel clicker set-up. The 06 clutch has a smaller ID so you start out in a lower gear as to speak. Lower ratio.
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:29 am

I've been running the EPI kit in my KQ and it works great. Nice and smooth at low speeds, no jerking, but comes in solid when the throttle is pounded. Great Modification.

There may be a sheave mod for the Yamaha, I know they have one for the Rhinos. The machined sheave is supposed to be like a clutch kit, smoother operation and actually adds a little top end. Some guys have tried the Grizzly sheave on the Rhino but still needed a kit, so it may not work on a Grizzly

Here's a good link to tearing into the Yamaha clutch if you decide to do it;
http://utilityoffroad.com/tech/rhino/pulley/index.html
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:15 am

oldtrucks wrote:I've been running the EPI kit in my KQ and it works great. . . .

05 Suzuki King Quad, it's all stock!

hummmmm?
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:19 am

I meant my wife has been running one on her quad, just typing too fast :lol:
Larry (ATV Ansel)

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:23 am

ok. . . will let your typo slip this time. . . just cause I "occassionally" do a mis-type. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"

oldtrucks

Postby oldtrucks » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:27 am

I hadn't noticed......... lol
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:41 am

oldtrucks wrote:I meant my wife has been running one on her quad, just typing too fast :lol:
So your wifr also has wheels, tires, exhaust and a EFI controller?? hmmm SO what does your wife ride when your riding HER Zuki??
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

MrBill

Postby MrBill » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:50 am

Yea Larry's wife has a purity cool quad. Now only if he would stop rolling his wife's quad. :lol:
04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

Chadd
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby Chadd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:46 am

MrBill wrote:Yea Larry's wife has a purity cool quad. Now only if he would stop FLOPPING his wife's quad. :lol:
I fixed for you Bill..
2007 Can-Am 800 XT, Full skid Plates, HMF Exhaust, Dobeck EFI Controller, AKA Zuki Eater Huh Larry.

Rider11x

Postby Rider11x » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:01 pm

In my research, I keep hearing of riders putting in clutch kits and having a higher stall, which they say lets it rev more before engaging. They were disatisfied due the lack of smoothness when starting from a dead stop and removed the kits to go back to stock...Is that true? I don't want to loose smoothness, as this is no race quad, and I'm not exactly looking to get the holeshot anymore. :lol:

www.grizzlyinfo.com

monty
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby monty » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:29 am

i have done limited research here, and have just tried different springs. i installed the EPI pink (pri) and black (secondary) springs because they were getting raved about on the boards. the black secondary works fine and reduced the ratio a little (which i was looking to do. i don't wanna be able to go close to 80mph) but the pink primary gave me some added stall. that made it allow the engine to rev a little higher before the clutch engages. i did not like this at all on the rocks or difficult trails. the next day or so, the pink primary spring came back out and the stock spring went back in. like i say, the EPI black secondary is still in my clutch and works fine, but does not produce a lot of difference.

my goal is to get a lower gear ratio eventually, and this is as far as i have gone so far. i think i may try a spring stronger than the EPI black in the secondary (i am looking to get 27" Bighorns soon) and see if it will give me more low end.

it seems like most of the clutch work is made for top end speed or mudders who may need high stall. the EPIPink i tried was supposed to have "just a tiny bit more stall" than stock, but the difference was very noticable and made it hard to ride on the rocks.

this is a very limited test and did not mess with weights at all, so take this for what it's worth.

monty
Last edited by monty on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
650i with stuff

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks Monty! Killer info.

On the rocks...you are correct....having a higher rev speed before engagement would be a recipe for FLIP OVER.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/