My Miyagi day

Now post your ride photos

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

My Miyagi day

Postby hemingray » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Here are a few pictures from my ride on Miyagi weekend. I chose to park at Henness Pass Rd and Meadow Lake Rd and ride in. I rarely get up early enough to see the morning light out in that area - very nice! (and cool - 48 in Truckee when I went through)

Here's Meadow Lake in the morning.

Here is one of the many seasonal ponds, with no outlet, that is no doubt here because of the mild summer. This was a short stub off of the road, just a mile or so from Meadow Lake

From this rock promontory, you can see the backside of the Black Buttes and Sand Ridge as well as French Lake.

Turning a bit west, English Mountain dominates things with Bowman Mountain and Red Hill in the distance. The wind during the winter storms must be unimaginable here - everything is either blasted or stunted low to the ground, like the tree in the foreground. This area sits above the rock slope from French Lake.

Another look at English Mountain.

Can't take a trip without some photo studies. This is the weathered trunk of a tree that is now close to the ground after the upper part snapped off. BTW - it's not black and white! It's weathered heartwood.

Typical - upper trunk snapped off a long time ago, yet the branches look old too and it's still going.

The Old Man of the Forest apparently lives here. He moves really slow.

Met up with the group at a stop and continued along Bowman Lake Road down to Graniteville Road, then to Gaston Grade Road. It descends through mixed forest and mining area, and there are some great open views to the Yuba River canyon. Typically the road looks like this.

The view from the corner. Note the smoke on the horizon - it's a fire on the Eldorado National Forest, near Ralston Ridge from what I hear.

Destination - Washington and the hotel. It was a busy Saturday in town.

Heading back, I avoided the dust by leaving early and toodled my way up Gaston Grade (did only about 20 MPH), checking some side roads. Time and gas made me choose that nasty road alongside Bowman Lake again, though the view are rewarding. Red Hill dominates this view.

And looking back along the lake, the lighting was cool.

Along the way I poked into a road that promised to go down to East Fork Creek on the upper part. Unfortunately, it was blocked by a downed tree, but not before coming to this big lily pond.

From there, back to Meadow Lake (running out of gas on one of the steep uphills when I should have been able to get back without adding any!) and the newly graded road from the White Rock Lake intersection down to Heness Pass Road and the truck.

Sorry I didn't socialize much with the rest of you on the ride, I was feeling under the weather and just couldn't handle much dust . Still, it was an enjoyable 90 miles! I'm definitely going to do my best to be prepared next year to truck-camp - wish I was riding today!
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

Ken
Site Admin

Re: My Miyagi day

Postby Ken » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 pm

Yeah Dave. Missed you...we had a great lunch.....Did you come in at all??

Dust wasn't that bad.....there's actually no reason to eat dust on that ride. Sure..we had 12 people....but you space out, and Caterpillar at each intersection.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BruteForce
Knows UPS driver on a 1st name basis

Postby BruteForce » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 am

Nice photos. What a scenic area!
2013 Sportsman XP 850 (Browning Edition) FI/EPS/LE
2005 & 2008 Kawasaki Brute Force 750i

Rider has ferocious attitude!

My blog site: http://utahbruteforce.com

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:23 am

Ken wrote:Yeah Dave. Missed you...we had a great lunch.....Did you come in at all??

Dust wasn't that bad.....there's actually no reason to eat dust on that ride. Sure..we had 12 people....but you space out, and Caterpillar at each intersection.
No, I hung around outside and people-watched - I had a bag lunch with me. I just wasn't feeling that great (I had taken the latter part of the week off to do some home projects - think I overdid it a bit)

The wind kept the dust on the move while riding down, I was behind Mr. Green and Lori for most of it - not bad (and I told him to not worry, I know the area very well). But I do remember the last time I went uphill in the middle of the pack - it was like driving through San Francisco fog! That's why I scooted out early.

I really will make the effort to camp out next year and enjoy a 2nd day of riding, plus the campfire tales etc.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

montana.matt
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby montana.matt » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Nice pics and beautiful country :wink:
I know how you feel about riding when you feel under the weather. My wife and I were both fighting a nasty cold all last week and didn't decide until the last minute to go on the ride we did this past weekend...
2005 Polaris Sportsman 800

EigerMike

Postby EigerMike » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:53 pm

great pics dave! nice to meet you even though it was short . :D
South Side Keeper

Paynes Creek 2017

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:07 am

Looks like you lucked out and got to shoot those awesome shots before the smoke from that fire moved in later that day. It was pretty thick on the west side for a while, but it all blew out overnight.
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 am

EigerMike wrote:great pics dave! nice to meet you even though it was short . :D
Good to meet you as well - someday I want to come up your way for some of those expeditions.
GrizzlyGuy wrote:Looks like you lucked out and got to shoot those awesome shots before the smoke from that fire moved in later that day. It was pretty thick on the west side for a while, but it all blew out overnight.
That was, from what I heard, a fire near Hellhole with just a couple of acres, and a larger one in the Ralston Ridge area of about 25 acres. I saw the plume and thought "crap - the North Fork area". Fortunately, it was another ridge or two over. They had a handle on them near the end of the evening and mopped up the next day. Ralston is being agressively logged - I wondered if those activities started something.

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Green
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby Mr. Green » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm

hemingray

as always amazing photos, there just so "crisp" is the only word i can think off.

It was nice to meet ya even if it was only briefly.
09 can-am renegade

hemingray

Postby hemingray » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Mr. Green wrote:hemingray

as always amazing photos, there just so "crisp" is the only word i can think off.

It was nice to meet ya even if it was only briefly.
Thanks - Canon deserves the credit for the image quality. I do force it to behave in terms of lighting etc., but the thing does do great imaging! I love it.

Glad to meet you too Brian, I'm sure we'll cross paths again!!

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~