underbody armor

What did you buy? Spill it! Was it good? Suck?

Moderator: hemingray

traxman
Wears Teal Eddie Bauer clothes

Postby traxman » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:30 pm

I will be ordering some of this material to use as skid plates. It is already in use as skid plate material by guys with custom rock crawlers, etc.

oldtrucks
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby oldtrucks » Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:12 pm

Junfan wrote:Anybody used it for this type of application yet?
I picked up some pieces and started cutting and folding it, as well as doing some destructive testing on it. Stuff machines like wood, easy to cut, drill, and finish the edges. I have a small hand brake and heated and bent some pieces to see how it would fold. All went very well with 1/8" and 3/16", 1/4" works but the inside radius is not as tight as I'd like. Then I started trying to destroy it. I beat on it with a hammer, nothing. It bends/deforms slightly, then rebounds. I took a roofers hammer and tried to cut through with the hatchet end. I could cut into it, but it took a great deal of energy, nothing we would ever experience crawling on rocks. It's doubtful we would ever hit a rock with enough speed to damage this stuff crawling. I think 3/16" is the way to go, plenty thick, very strong, and nearly indestructible. I found a place in Sacramento that sells it, $105 for a 4' x 10' piece in Black. The white or Natural is a little more and actually has less UV protection. I had to order the 3/16", should have it in a couple weeks, then I can start making the panels
Larry (ATV Ansel)

Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces

[url=http://www.offroadobsession.com/store]Offroad Obsession[/url]

[url=http://www.rallyontherocks.com]Rally on the Rocks![/url]

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:08 am

Wow....that's really interesting. I was major league skeptical...but your description really sounds encouraging (mainly cause I know you know where we go).

I can't wait to check it out.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

MrPolaris
ATV Obsession Rider

Postby MrPolaris » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:46 pm

oldtrucks wrote:
I picked up some pieces and started cutting and folding it, as well as doing some destructive testing on it. Stuff machines like wood, easy to cut, drill, and finish the edges. I have a small hand brake and heated and bent some pieces to see how it would fold. All went very well with 1/8" and 3/16", 1/4" works but the inside radius is not as tight as I'd like. Then I started trying to destroy it. I beat on it with a hammer, nothing. It bends/deforms slightly, then rebounds. I took a roofers hammer and tried to cut through with the hatchet end. I could cut into it, but it took a great deal of energy, nothing we would ever experience crawling on rocks. It's doubtful we would ever hit a rock with enough speed to damage this stuff crawling. I think 3/16" is the way to go, plenty thick, very strong, and nearly indestructible. I found a place in Sacramento that sells it, $105 for a 4' x 10' piece in Black. The white or Natural is a little more and actually has less UV protection. I had to order the 3/16", should have it in a couple weeks, then I can start making the panels

Larry,
I never had a chance to see if this stuff ever worked out for you? I was looking today at getting some sort of inderbody crap as I had not done anything yet. . .
Hello

My dogs say hello. . .

Fire Marshall Dusty says, "if you are going to weld your gas tank, make sure it is half full and you have your friend do the welding!!!"