Why not a Honda

Red and Green machine

Moderator: hemingray

hemingray
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby hemingray » Tue May 15, 2007 5:52 pm

Chadd wrote: LMFAO.... He had a way with words...LOL
Hey guys,

As I see from the pix from when Mr. Miyagi was in your midst, and reading his comments in the older messages on the forum (which are pretty funny) - he was quite a fellow. I'm glad you have this annual ride, it's got to be great to gather and tell stories and hoist a few in his memory. I lost a best friend in late 2004 to a sudden illness that dropped him in his tracks, so can I totally relate. Much like I see you all do here, I like to quote my old friend, or consider how he would view this or that. It's always fun. It somehow keeps the connection with what we shared with these people who have gone on before us.

So, even though I never knew Terry, I feel I've met him through what you have here thoughout the site.

Thanks for that,

Dave W.
Wherever I go, there I am

Paynes Creek 2016!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
16 Yamaha Wolverine R-Spec EPS SE
09 Yamaha Grizzly 700 FI 4x4 EPS

WillRide
Is tracking a shipment right now

Postby WillRide » Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 pm

Terry's posts are in just about every topic. All you have to do is read a few to see why he was liked by so many (and probably hated by a few). He was just a tad bit outspoken. He could dish out some outragous insults, but he could also take it. It was always in fun. I think sometimes people would log in just to see what crazy stuff Terry had to say. He had his share of issues, just like you and me, but he touched a lot of people's lives, and will be missed for a long time.
--Will
'15 RZR S 900 eps (oh yes I did!)
'02 Yamaha Raptor

DAVE
Is Totally Obsessed

Postby DAVE » Thu May 17, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey guys,

As I see from the pix from when Mr. Miyagi was in your midst, and reading his comments in the older messages on the forum (which are pretty funny) - he was quite a fellow. I'm glad you have this annual ride, it's got to be great to gather and tell stories and hoist a few in his memory. I lost a best friend in late 2004 to a sudden illness that dropped him in his tracks, so can I totally relate. Much like I see you all do here, I like to quote my old friend, or consider how he would view this or that. It's always fun. It somehow keeps the connection with what we shared with these people who have gone on before us.

So, even though I never knew Terry, I feel I've met him through what you have here thoughout the site.

Thanks for that,

Dave W.
Well said
DAVE

Brute 750 Camo... 26'' MUDLITE XTR'S... Ramsey 3000 w/remote...eXplorist 400... Mair handguards... FlightCare Member

trainman
Just opened an account at Cabelas

I like Honda ATVs

Postby trainman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:09 am

I am a a new guy to this forum, and have been reading lots of posts, and have actually taken some advice regarding tires, and GPS units. However, I am very disappointed to see so little being said about Honda ATVs. I have owned two Polaris Scramblers, and then a Honda Foreman, followed by my present machine, a 2004 Rubicon. I find my Honda machines to be so superior to the Polaris machines. So why don't I read more positive material here about Hondas, except that the chicks dig guys on Hondas. Its too late for me in that department, but I just like to ride, and I have never ridden a more dependable machine than my Rubicon. However, after driving a machine with fuel injection and independent rear suspension, I am ready to swap my Rubicon for an Rincon. Maybe they are just so good, that no one can say anything bad about them.

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:31 am

welcome!

Honda's are well made machines. No argument there. The reason for their general unpopularity on this site is they don't perform well for our heavy rock riding. The main reason is lack of front locker. It woefully inadequate. Dusty had a Rincon, but sold it for an 800 Sportsman for that reason.
The last words spoken before a YouTube video is filmed: "Hold my beer, now watch this..."

Regards,
Ken Hower
RTF Director
http://www.rubicontrail.org/

BillATV
Just realized teal ATV clothes are lame

Postby BillATV » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Trainman,

Welcome. There are various brands on here. As to Brand X being better than Brand Y, I leave that debate to others. When I was a teenager, we have to have wonderful, rather pointless arguements about Ford versus Chevy, etc. Now, I figure people are happy with whatever they bought/ride. Most of them seem pretty good.

As to the Rincon, I moved from a 02 Rancher ES to a an 07 Rincon. So far, I have nothing to complain about. It does whatever I ask. I suspect that, as Ken pointed out, there are conditions where some other brand will be superior. It will depend upon your needs and uses. I was looking for reliability and handling.

Again, welcome.

Bill
Bill
2012 Polaris 850 HO
Cool, CA

Kodiak
Is Totally Obsessed

oh honda's

Postby Kodiak » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:14 pm

ok so i have ridden a couple of honda ranchers and they are pretty tough we beat the crap out of them and they keep on running but like Ken said the lack of a front locker is very very frustrating. they get stuck in mud alot quicker than my yamaha (with front diff lock) and in the really tough(read also really fun) rock sections the lack of a front locker leaves them struggling alot of get off pick it up get back on, not too much fun

just my 2 cents though,

p.s. haven't ridden Polaris therefore no comment that new RAZOR looks like a blast though!
Angelo

My Business mention ATV Obsession and i will hook you up.
http://www.mygemologist.com
K0HMR
My ATV!!
2006 Kodiak 450
warn 2500 winch, heated hand grips, and full custom skid plates with wrap around steel fender guards :) and 25" Bighorn tires

trainman

Postby trainman » Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanks guys, Your points are very well made. Especially regarding the front locker. I am surprised that Honda has not addressed this. I know from my limited experiences riding in the west, you really need this. Are there after market solutions for this available.
I appreciate the Ford Chevy debate, since I have been involved in that for a very long time. My choice is a 1967 Big Block Camaro.

MrBill
Certified: OBSESSED

Postby MrBill » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:45 pm

04 500 HO SP w/ the RZR bling rims/tires and 2 03 Bomber GTX DI

GrizzlyGuy
Forever On The trail - RIP

Postby GrizzlyGuy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:51 pm

Honda made the Odyssey, so they scored big points right there in my book. As kids we used to play the "I'll bet I can roll it more times than you can" game when the parents weren't around. Those things were indestructible and accelerated like a mini rocket ship.

I'm not talking about the modern-day Odyssey car, rolling one of those would be dangerous. I'm talking about the late 70's 4-wheeler with the damned pointy roll cage that really made it tough to get more than 2 rolls. :wink:
TV For Thrill Seekers: http://AdventureWorld.TV
More Videos: http://GrizzlyGuy.TV
Some More Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ATVGrizzlyGuy
Photos: http://www.GrizzlyGuy.com/ATVs
My quad: Grizzly 700, 25" Bighorns, Bash Plates,
Warn 2500 Winch

trainman

Postby trainman » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:48 pm

Actually, that's funny GG. I have a Honda Odyssey Van. I was searching ebay a couple of times for some things for it, and this funny looking atv kept coming up. I had never heard of it. I think they didn't last very long, right?

Rubicon_Rider
Is tracking a shipment right now

Re: Why not a Honda

Postby Rubicon_Rider » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:38 am

I bought a new Honda Rubicon in 06 without knowing anything about quads, I thought if the farmers are choosing them then they must be good. I am happy I choose it because it has been a excellent quad, powerful, dependable, and durable. I have had it through the Rubicon, crashed in ditches and flew off jumps on a sport track on an atv sport at Praire City and a lot of trail riding. I love the ability to be able to choose between automatic or manual shifting. No rear locking diff but I don't run through swamps. With the shaft I don't have to worry about being stranded with a warn out belt.

Honda engines take a bruising and keep on cruising.

My next quad will be a Rincon, I want fuel inj.
2006 Honda Rubicon w/HMF Penland pipe
2012 2500 Ram Laramie w/Cummin 6.7L
2010 Attitude Toy hauler
2014 Razor 1000XPS
2017 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe